Wednesday 12 January 2011

Bato Durgazhapov, beyond Claude Monet


Bato Dugarzhapov
(1966 -)
Russian impressionist painter.


After discovering and sharing Eduard Manet’s legacy and before returning to printed matters meet this Russian painter.
(Left: bouquet, a detail)

Site-links where you can visit Bato Dugarzhapov’s art are at the end of this posting. Selecting 16 out of the odd 300 I found on the Internet an impossible and unthankful task. Just ask me to “publish” 16 more.

Born in Chita in the far far East of Russia, north of China and north of Mongolia maybe explaining his “wide angle” vision and why so many of his compositions are painted against the light. For photographers, besides the most interesting, creative and challenging also the most difficult light to pursue and catch.


This selection a few my favorites. To get you interested in case, like me, you’ve never heard of him before. Now you have. 250+ to go.

(Paris, Seine bookstall and banks)

(Thaw)

Konstantin Korovin (1861-1934) is considered the Russian Claude Monet (1840-1926). He was a contemporary of Monet. A century later Bato Durgazhapov taking Impressionism beyond Monet and Korovin. His picking up Light with a brush from his soft pastel pallet is extraordinary. Some of his painting almost “go completely abstract” but squeezing the eyelids against the sun the scene eventually emerges from the canvas.


Comparing one can find examples of practically all stages of Monet’s artistic lifetime evolution. The same goes for Korovin . He must have studied both painters intensively. Korovin once was director of the Moskow Art School where Bato D. was a student a century later. His paintings are of course way out of my financial range but discovering him made me a richer man. Hopefully there will be a book in future. In my lifetime.




See the gull in the sky !!


(Paris, Seine at night)
Willow and pond




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintings, the control of colour and command of light is superb!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Steve, thank you. Comments are always very much appriciated. You are the first one for this posting and that surprises me. His paintings are so good and his fame still so small. Incredible. Glad you liked them and my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are good to advocate for Bato. His work is special. I marvel at his high key paintings especially -- vast information described with a minimum of strokes and with dazzling tonalities. --Aurelio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dazzling. My brain tells me to put on sunglasses, though logically I know better. Ah . . . the wisterias.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is genial1 He is the best in your time!Fantastisks colors! The most beautiful i ever sett!I hav one god sampling av his vorks.

    ReplyDelete