Tuesday 1 July 2014

Sanyu, A Chinese in Paris (Part 2: some flower paintings)

Sanyu

(San Yu or Chang Yu)

(Nanchung 14 October 1901 - 1966 Paris  

Chinese-French painter
and printmaker. 



Today, as promised continuing with (a selection of) floral paintings by this Chinese-French artist that I've scratched together from the internet. Most sensitive renderings of traditional Chinese flower arrangement and house plant pruning. But nevertheless "made in Paris".        



I'm really impressed by Sanyu's search for purity of line, and in the case of his flower paintings arrangement and composition. These images create a lasting imprint in the brain. Well, that is, in my brain at least. 





All pictures are mouse-clickable to embiggen.

All pictures borrowed freely from the Internet for friendly, educational and non commercial use only.  

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this painter before your posts and I must say I am entranced by his paintings. I love the floral works--there is something about the blocky line quality and angular compositions that I find very appealing. They are so simple but quite complex at the same time. The nicotinia (or lilies) is graphically very strong and I like the play of the vegetal forms/branches and leaves with the very simple vases and monochrome backgrounds. His works have an element of what I would have called Japonisme if they were the works of a Westerner.......but then I know little about Chinese painting in of the 1900s...Lovely works, thanks for introducing them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Andrew, I was very pleased to have met this painter, just by coincidence. Thank you for stopping by and your comment.

    ReplyDelete